We are the bank for people with purpose. The only bank born from the co-operative movement 45 years ago. We believe in the power of ‘we’ and putting values and ethics first. We are looking for talented individuals who want to make their next career move in a bank that celebrates co-operative spirit. We put the customer at the heart of everything we do and wholly embrace advocates who truly connect and endorse our brand. And did we mention we are award winning? Year on year award winners for our products, our customer service and our commitment to communities. What’s not to love!
We are looking for an ambitious and determined Head of Health and Safety to champion wellbeing within our vibrant HR function, better known as our People Team! This is a highly visible role with Executive and Non-Executive Board level interaction. A fantastic opportunity to work closely with our key stakeholders, providing strategic direction & oversight within our award winning, ethically lead Bank. This role will offer you the freedom to orientate and shape the direction of health and safety in areas that matter most.
Your primary purpose will be to provide Fire, Health and Safety subject matter expertise and guidance across the Bank in order to help protect colleagues and customers from coming to any harm. This role will require you to work closely with our premises team, ensuring that we are always compliant with legislation, and have our values, ethics and our colleagues’ wellbeing at the heart of everything we do. You will be responsible for reducing negative risk exposure to reputation, brand, profit and prosecution damage.
Helping to ensure that we implement high standards across our Bank, you will be required to lead, advice and challenge constructively across all levels.
Whether you are looking for that exciting new challenge or in need of some work life balance, this is an outstanding opportunity to take that next step in your Health and Safety career.
* Interpretation of existing Legislation, Guides and Codes of Practice so that standards remain consistent and proportionate across the Bank.
* Horizon scanning to ensure new legislative requirements, case law findings or other relevant information is communicated within the Bank and internal standards amended accordingly.
* Develop Bank-wide policies and procedures to deliver colleague safety and health reducing the risk of legislative non-compliance penalties and incidents.
* The development of relevant compliance minimum standards, policy, process, supporting Business Functions, the Bank Risk Management System and colleagues in their implementation of provisions.
* Provide appropriate specialist support to the Bank and other support services in relation to the design and ownership of health & safety training courses.
* Identify and engage effectively with all internal Health & Safety stakeholders to ensure Health & Safety related issues across the Bank are identified and clear policies and processes are produced or adapted.
* Liaise with the Bank’s insurers concerning any civil claims that may arise.
* Act as the SME where formal action ensues engaging with the Bank Legal team and other internal stakeholders where necessary.
* Provide support and when required, lead accident and incident investigations
* Leading and administering the Health and Safety Forum, ensuring regular update are provided to other Bank governance committees.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required:
* Appropriate membership level of IOSH
* Experience of managing health and safety across a multi-site environment
* Appropriate experience and or qualifications in fire safety management and fire risk assessment
* An understanding of the challenges faced in an environment which has high governance requirements
* Experience of innovation and progressive thinking in the H&S discipline.
* Excellent communication and presentation skills
* Experience of working with external organisations including enforcement authorities.
* Ability to work as part of a team but with considerable autonomy in respect of work planning
* A resilient approach to work, able to overcome challenges, negotiate and find mutually acceptable, cost-effective solutions
What You Can Expect From Us:
* 27 days holiday at start, rising to 30 days
* Agile working including opportunity to work from home
* Competitive pension / income protection / life assurance
* 2 paid days for volunteering per year
* Positive working environment in contemporary offices centrally located in Manchester
* Strong career path within Financial Services
* Family friendly policies and supportive working environment
* Recognition scheme and a culture in which we celebrate success
* Colleague network groups committed to inclusion and diversity within our Bank
Our Bank is committed to continuing to create a diverse workforce and an inclusive environment where all colleagues can fulfil their potential. We welcome applications from talented individuals from all backgrounds and lifestyles who can work with us in maintaining a culture of belonging, where people are valued and respected.
If you require more information or this document in a different format, please contact our careers team on .
As a reputable employer regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, all offers of employment for this role are subject to a series of background checks, including criminal (DBS) and financial checks.